Friday, January 21, 2011

The lone nugget....

Jeremy left for Cambodia this morning. I am tired just thinking about it. I drag the kids all out of their warm snuggly beds this morning and rush to get them all looking presentable and fed to take Kate to school. We make it out the door on time, but without a second to spare. No time for breakfast for mama. Anna spends the morning playing with her best friend and me and little man run some errands. At the grocery store they are giving away a free huge box of spring mix salad to every customer. My lucky day. I love a big salad for lunch, topped with chicken. However, at the meat counter I find out rotisserie chickens wont be ready until 12. It is currently 9:30. No way am I coming back at 12 with all 3 kids in tow just for the chicken. I decide to go tomorrow and make do today by grabbing a Wendys 5 pc nugget on the way home to top my salad with. I am already starving just thinking about. So, I pick up the kids and as I swing in the drive through I yell, "Girls, mommy's grabbing some nuggets to go with her lunch. Do you want any?" Kate: "YES!!" no hesitation there. Anna: "No thanks, I ate lunch at Brianna's". "Anna, are you sure, Kate and I are getting some..do you just want a couple?."
Anna "No, I really, really don't. Im not hungry and I don't like them anyways."
"Well, Ok, if you're sure" We pull up to the window and I make sure one more time. "Anna, no nuggets... you're sure right?" Anna: "Mom, I do not want any nuggets. no way"
So, I order three boxes anyways, one for me, one for Kate, and one for safe measure just in case Caleb might want one or Kate wants an extra... because today is not a day I am wanting to share my food. Im hungry.
We get home and I start right away getting little man's lunch situated. He's hungry. Kate starts eating her nuggets, and Anna is sitting beside her playing at the bar with her dolls...or so I thought. I pull out the stuff and make my salad, already tasting the flavors of the veggies, and the chicken, and the dressing all together in wonderful harmony that I am about to enjoy. Because a salad without chicken is just a side, right? I mean, chicken makes it a meal.
I turn around to grab "my" box of nuggets off the bar, and this is what is I find............

I am in shock. ONE nugget and with a bite missing. Girls, where's mommys nuggets? I am sure I must not be seeing them. Surely they are somewhere under the clutter on the bar. Anna is smiling...and I am getting nervous. "Anna, why are you smiling sweetie?" already fearing the worst. "I actually was a little hungry mommy... "A little! I ordered 15 nuggets, gave caleb one and there is 3/4 of one left, so you and Kate just ate 13 nuggets in 5 minutes?!" "Um, I think so, they were pretty good, but you can have this one, we don't mind.

Oh, the sacrifices of a mother. So, I tore the lone little nugget into as many pieces as I could and tried to disperse it the best I could throughout my long awaited salad, hoping to at least get the taste of a bread crumb with every bite.

No comments: