Friday, September 26, 2008
Kids take you literally
I was reminded of a valuable lesson today in an attempt to jog with my two girls in the double jogging stroller. Preschoolers take you very literally. In my attempt to avoid whining and the usual "can we stop at the playground?" question 20 times, I tried to distract them both and make the jog fun for all of us. There is a one mile loop at the park across the street where we take most of our walks/jogs together. Today as we were starting out I saw a lady jogging with her two dogs not very far ahead of us. So, I said "Hey girls, lets follow that lady and her doggies and maybe we can catch them" What was I thinking!!! My plan back-fired. I was already struggling pushing 65 lbs of kids in a stroller. I didn't know my children were going to take me so literally and become very motivated and competitive to catch up to the lady with the dogs. So, instead of the usual "How much longer until we stop to play, etc. etc.?" I got "Mommeeee you are going sooooooo slow" and "Why is that lady so much faster than you mommy?" and "Mommy, you CAN"T stop and walk we have to catch up to that lady, Go Go Go" I felt like I had two little trainers in tow that didnt cut any slack! Their little minds do not understand that I am soooooo slow and that lady is sooooo fast because I am pushing 65 pounds and she is being pulled by two excited labs. Big difference! Well they got their wish because it didnt take long before that fast lady lapped us on the track and as she got just a little bit in front of us I said "Look girls, she's right in front of us" and they exclaimed in unison "Good job mommy, you did it!!" and then as we got really close to the lady, Kate yelled at her "We caught you!!" The poor lady was probably very very confused, if not scared...I just turned around and smiled at her like I didnt know what Kate was talking about!! From now on I will be careful what I say when I take those girls jogging!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hilarious! That is a great story. I can so see your face when you smile at her as you pass her!
-J
Post a Comment