Oh, how my heart melted. I embraced my little girl so tightly, and assured her that, no she would never have to fight a giant like Goliath. But what a big question from such a little girl, and isn't it really the same question we all have if we looked into the depths of our hearts?
Of course as adults we are pretty confident we won't be face to face with any real literal giants in our lifetime, but don't we all have our own giants that we are secretly afraid of facing or hesitate to follow God when we don't always know the end of the story? What a great teaching moment God gave me with the girls this morning. I was able to tell the girls that even though we will never fight a big giant like that, there will be many, many times when God will want us to be brave and obey Him when it is not easy, and God gave us this story to show us how true it is that we can do nothing on our own strength, but can do great big things to bring God glory when we trust Him completely.
I have been thinking about this story all day, and God has been showing me just how much my heart is so much like my little 3 year old Anna's, who loves God so much and wants to please Him, but when I really get honest with myself, is afraid in the same way of giants. When seeing people go through very difficult things I want to pray "God, I'm little, please don't make me have to fight a giant like that" just like Anna. I am often afraid to take risks or step out alone in faith and lack the confidence of David. But, I need to remember that the very same God that called David and gave him the confidence and capability to fight a giant is the very same God that our family serves and we do not ever need to be afraid, because we know from His word how His story ends. I am so thankful that this life is not the end!
Thank you sweet Anna for helping me to think deeper about our story this morning.
1 comment:
Beth, you are so right and so is Anna. We all face giants somewhere along life's way but aren't we blessed that we have a God we can count on and will never leave us and never forsake us.
Post a Comment